18 Mar Lessons from Ariel
Ariel will be 5 weeks old on Thursday. Seems like I was pregnant in another lifetime. In fact it was another lifetime – a lifetime without Down Syndrome.?Being told Ariel had symptoms of Down Syndrome was literally life changing for me.?There and then number one lesson learnt YOU CANNOT CONTROL THE FUTURE?I have also learnt a lot over the last 5 weeks about myself and others and of course about Down Syndrome.
Here are a few of the important lessons I have learnt.
1. I cannot control the future I can only control myself. And it turns out even sometimes I cant do that….
2. Nothing I did or didn’t do caused Ariel to have Down Syndrome. We also could not have prevented it. It is there from conception. It is an extra chromosome. Chromosome 21 is the smallest chromosome. Down syndrome is a very common chromosome disorder because the survival rate is larger due to the chromosome being small. It causes a range of physical abnormalities, learning disabilities and health issues. Some of these are pretty scary. (We start all of our tests over the next 6 weeks – I will keep you posted)
3. My partner and I are very good at dealing with the diagnosis. We do not feel disappointment nor do we feel sorry for ourselves. I am proud of us 🙂
4. Everybody seems to know someone who has a loving Down syndrome child and who is doing really well. Initially I thought I would have to re-adjust my hopes and dreams for my daughters future but it turns out I don’t. What I will need to do is learn to have a lot of patience as she will not learn as quickly as a typical child. I am fine with this. I will keep intelligence in perspective.
5. I am not superwoman and do need to have afternoon naps….
My lovely cousin Adam from Adam Barton Creative who also does our artwork has kindly offered to design the label for our Ariel candle free of charge. The wheels are in motion for our first Ariel product. We will be donating some of the proceeds to the Downs Syndrome Association. They have been a great help to me over the last few weeks.
I would also like to thank all of you for the kind words and messages on social media it really made me feel good! 🙂