23 Feb Candle Care Tips
Estimated reading time 4 minutes
Scented candles will always be a highly appreciated gift for a wide variety of occasions. Woman and Men enjoy scented candles for their home décor, and for their spirituality and aromatherapy-like relaxation. I love burning candles but since making it my business I have found there is quite an art to burning a candle properly. After receiving a few emails from customers having minor problems with burning their candle I thought I should share some candle care tips on the blog for everyone to read
When your candle is lit you should see
- A Calm, Steady Flame
- No Flickering or Wisps of Smoke
- No Flare Ups or Leaping Flames
To achieve this follow the simple candle care tips below
Trim the Wick.
Before lighting your candle trim the wick to 5mm. So important! If the wick is not trimmed enough it will create large flame and smoke. I recommend you invest in a wick trimmer. A wick trimmer make this task easy and create a nice clean cut that properly maintains the wick. Here’s how to properly use a wick trimmer:
- Place the bottom of the trimmer flush with the surface of the candle.
- Rock the trimmer back so that the “elbow” now rests on the surface of the candle.
- Ensure that your trimmer is at a 45-degree angle to get the proper wick length. This will prevent the wick from being cut too short, causing the candle to burn improperly.
- Bring the two handles together to trim the wick. Discard the remnant wick before lighting.
Do not burn candle for more than 4 hours
For safety reasons it is recommended to burn candles for no more than 4 hours for XL candles. Extinguish flame and straighten wicks so they are ready to be trimmed once wax has cooled. Make sure there is no debris in wax.
Be safe while the candle is burning
- Keep lit candles away from drafts. This also prevents uneven burning of the candle and the wick from smoking. (If you like to group your candles, make sure they are at least 6 cm apart when burning. Candles placed too closely together can create their own draft and cause the candles to flare)
- Never leave your candle unattended and keep away from children and pets
- Discontinue use of a candle when 5 cm of wax remains at the bottom of the jar. This will prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface or container itself.
- Keep away from heat sources and anything flammable
- Do not use if the glass container is cracked, chipped or broken.
- Do not move a burning candle and wait for wax to cool completely before handling. Jars become very hot.
Candle jars will get a black carbon build up around them. Just wipe around edge with a clean damp cloth.
Always light both wicks every time for even burn.
If you have followed these candle care tips and safety instructions, and still have any concerns or faulty candles, please don’t hesitate to contact me and I will be happily to replace your candle. I will not accept responsibility for any damage caused as a result of the misuse of my products.
Thank you and enjoy your candle. Raylene x